45 East Main St. Chillicothe OH 45601 P: 740.772.5100 F: 740.702.2727 | CONTACT
Ross County is the second largest in Ohio in terms of square miles and sits halfway between Columbus and the Ohio River, both about 45 miles away from the county seat of Chillicothe. The population of the county was estimated at 77,159 in 2014 by the Census Bureau.
Chillicothe, the first and third capital of Ohio and the capital of the Northwest Territory, was founded in 1796. Its population today is about 21,000. Due to its early political position, the city became a hub for commerce, served by early roads, the Ohio-Erie Canal and railroads. Today, it remains a hub for commerce in southern Ohio as witnessed by a recent study that showed half of the county’s sales tax revenue came from those who lived outside the county, thanks in large part to the intersection of three federal highways.
The county is governed by a three-member Board of Commissioners. The city has a nine-member City Council with a strong mayor form of government. There are 16 townships in Ross County, each of which has three trustees and a fiscal officer.
There are seven villages in the county, none of which has a population larger than 2,000. They are governed by their own councils and mayors.
Here are links to the main county and city websites: